Are all Your Bases Covered?
As our houses become more complex, they present a myriad of creature comforts and also a few dangerous situations. Here are a few things to be aware of.
The more comfortable and sophisticated our houses become, the harder it is to leave them. In today’s world we can do everything we need and like to do without ever leaving home. We now work from home, play in doors, order food in (almost everyone delivers these days), exercise in our workout room, go downstairs to the media room to watch movies that we downloaded from the Internet, etc. The list goes on.
The more time we spend at home, the bigger strain we put on its systems; HVAC, plumbing and electrical. When was the last time you tuned up your home? You go to the doctor’s for the annual check-up, change the oil in the car every 3000 miles, dentist twice a year for your teeth, but what about your house.
Home Safety Checklist Questions
- How are your smoke detectors, all functioning?
- Carbon Monoxide detectors installed in the correct places and all active?
- Have you exercised your breakers lately?
- Whole home surge protector or whole home generator?
- Is your water heater running at maximum capacity or is it ready to burst and take out our basement office or home theater?
- Does your furnaces heat exchanger leak carbon monoxide?
Make sure you get your home checked. Some of these, if neglected, are real killers.