Signs That You Need an Expert Electrician
Here we will briefly cover the importance of home electrical maintenance and repair.
Most people learn from an early age that electricity can be harmful. Parents admonish their kids not to stick anything into a wall outlet or take appliances with them into the bathroom or other areas where these things might pose a danger. However, being unaware of electrical problems on your property or in your home can be just as deadly.
You may notice signs of a potential problem, such as bizarre sounds or smells, getting a small shock when you flip a switch, breakers tripping, and lights flickering. These are possible warning signs of an issue. Although you can take some precautionary measures to keep the situation in check, repairing electrical issues is a complex business.
Here are some tips to help identify faulty electrical hardware in your home:
Lights Grow Dim or Flicker
One of the most obvious signs of an electrical problem is when your lights get dimmer or flicker on and off repeatedly. If you’re running several appliances on a single circuit, they could be drawing too much power to make everything work correctly. Your bulbs may not be getting enough power if they’re on a power supply that has a low voltage.
Your home’s circuit breaker acts as a sort of electrical safety net. It will “trip” to stop electricity flowing through a particular circuit if that circuit is dealing with more electricity than it can take. This feature is one measure that can prevent an electrical fire in your home. However, you can unplug some of the appliances that use the most electricity if you are experienced a tripped breaker on a regular basis. Consider upgrading the electrical services you are receiving or adding another circuit for additional power. Call a professional electrician and keep the main breaker off until the expert finds the issue.
Low Buzzing Noises
If you hear a buzzing noise coming from an outlet or a switch in your home, take it as a warning sign that you need to do something. Each switch contains metal contacts, and the current may arc between them rather than flow steadily as it should. If this is happening, it points to an issue with the connection itself.
Odd smells can often precede electrical fires. If you smell something weird, it could be a sign that a short has caused a spark. If two wires with opposing polarities touch one another, they will create a spark that trips your circuit breaker. You can mitigate the damage here by shutting off your circuit breaker and calling a trained electrician.
Receiving a Shock From an Outlet or Switch
A wire that is going through a short will send you a small shock from time to time. If this issue is a regular occurrence, an expert may need to replace the outlet, the switch, or both.
You may need to replace the wiring in an old building sooner rather than later. Blackouts and other malfunctions are possible when you’re dealing with worn wires. Don’t let a small issue become a big problem by ignoring these signs. Switch off your power and call ESCO, if you run into any of these signs.
Our expert electricians offer quick, reliable service with over three decades of experience in the Salt Lake City area.